Acidity & pH
This balancing act in the mouth has a direct effect on your risk for cavities. This a major source of increased dental caries.
Questions to ask yourself:
- Do you drink anything other than water more than 2/day between meals?
- Do you snack daily between meals?
You may be surprised to know how acidic some everyday foods and beverages can be!
Click here for more detailed pH tables for common foods & beverages!
We recommend the following tips to protect your teeth from acids:
– Avoid or limit soft drinks and other acidic beverages.To maintain a low-risk status, you limit food/beverages (other than water) to 4-5/day.
– Avoid swishing acidic beverages around your mouth.
– Rinse your mouth with water after you eat or drink.
– Chew sugarless gum to increase your saliva flow and wash away acids.
– Drink milk or eat foods that contain calcium, like cheese, which neutralize acids.